11 reasons you must STOP using FREE, generic or ISP based domain names for business emails.
Using a FREE, generic or ISP based domain email address is NOT doing your business any favours.
You could own and use your own company domain name for only $20 per year.
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) generally offer their customers one or more email addresses as long as you keep using their service. But did you know, you can stay or move to a better ISP but still retain your old email address?
In Australia there are many ISPs with the biggest three email accounts being:
- Telstra – @bigpond.com, bigpond.net.au, bigpond.com.au, @telstra.com
- Optus – @optus.com.au
- IInet/Westnet/TPG – @iinet.net.au, @tpg.com.au, @westnet.com.au
How many business contacts do you know who are using one of the above email domains?
Not many we would say, the vast majority own their own domain-name.
No matter who your ISP is there are also are many FREE email addresses available from @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com (now called @outlook.com or @live.com) and thousands more like them. But again these should only be used for “personal” accounts as they have poor security, easily hacked and what spammers and fraudsters use.
For only $20 per year you can own your own domain name
If you are a Business person or Company, you should have your own “domain” name which identifies your business and is representative of your Australian Business or Trading Name such as mycompany.com.au
If you already own a domain-name for your website, you can also use that same domain-name for your emails.
6 Reasons why you should NOT conduct business using a generic, Free or ISP based email address.
- FREE, generic or ISP based email addresses do not look professional.
- FREE, generic or ISP based email addresses do not make you look like a permanent company who will be around for the longer-term.
- When you change domain providers you cannot always take your email address with you. (some isp’s do allow, for a fee)
- By not registering your business domain (and close variants) you are giving competitors the opportunity to do so and to steal your brand.
- By not registering your business domain (and close variants) you may be unable to build a website in the future using your preferred name.
- Emails from generic, Free or ISP based email addresses are the ones most often used by scammers and thieves. This means your mails will not always get through business strength email servers (such as Microsoft Exchange ) that protect other businesses from SPAM.
5 more reasons you SHOULD register and conduct business using your own domain name.
- Adds Credibility – As the saying goes: “You never get a second chance to make a first impression“. Having your own domain name projects a professional image of you and your company, normally associated with large companies. It tends to say to others that you’re a serious business person, operating an established business, in a professional manner.
- Email Aliases – by doing business under your own domain name, you can use multiple Email “aliases”. Every email message affirms your name, eg firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portability – If you’ve ever had to change your service provider, or even move your physical business address, you won’t have to be reminded of what an incredible hassle it can be to notify everyone. Remember, without your own domain name, your Internet address is tied to that of your service provider. Thus, if you want to change providers you also change your Web address and probably Email address as well.
- Free advertising – Every time you send Domain email you are advertising your brand or business name and strengthening your brand amongst those who receive your message. As email use grows, so does your promotion of your name.
- Simple to find, remember, and use – By using an email service that bases your email addresses on your domain name instead of your ISP’s, you gain freedom to use simple, memorable addresses like: email@example.com or John.Smith@yourbiz.com.au
Once you or your company has its own domain name, it will have to be “hosted”.
In order to receive and send emails, a server (located either on the internet or in your office) is required to host an email program such as Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino, Sendmail etc.
Bigger companies may elect to host their email server on their own servers on own premises. Smaller companies often “rent” hosted mail services from a variety of sources.
Renting such services can cost hundreds of dollars per year whereas the cost of purchasing your own server and mail software will cost thousands of dollars and will need to maintained and replaced every 3 to 5 years.
A cost effective solution is offered by Microsoft called “Office 365 Small Business Premium” and combines the latest Microsoft Office products with Microsoft Hosted Exchange.
For less than $200 per year you can have the full new Microsoft Office suite (office 365), your own domain name and all running on Microsoft Exchange
To keep your bigpond address click here
If you would like to setup a business domain name and have your business email addresses transferred to the new domain, whilst still retaining your old ISP email address. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and receive a free quote.
For our rates, charges and terms, please contact us.